In February 2015, I left my day job, a job that I was miserable in, that was taking a lot of my time and energy, and one that was pulling me away from my life purpose instead of towards it. I became horrified at the thought of working for yet another employer and I made a commitment to myself that I would use the gifts that god gave me and learn how to be my own boss.
I started repeating the mantra that I heard Marianne Williamson say on Oprah: Super Soul Sunday "God, help me be who I came here to be, and help me do as I came here to do."
On February 18th, 2015 my FREE Thursday night readings were born on Facebook. This was the start of my successful year in business.
Here are some things I want to acknowledge and share about business in 2015:
1. Being Mindful Of My Thoughts Were Key: I had to learn to be my best friend, my biggest cheerleader. My thoughts and beliefs were reflected in my business. I had to believe in myself more than anyone else did, learn to detach from the good opinions of others, to correct my thinking, my thought patterns and challenge the perception of every failure from the past. I had to learn how to shine.
2. Word Of Mouth Was My Most Effective Business Building Tool: I greatly value every single one of you that have shared my name and referred your friends to me. I know that this is how I have attracted a wonderful group of people on my networking pages and it is the reason for having great people show up for private readings in my healing room. This has been my best form of advertising, and I know that this is the #1 way I want to continue building my business. If you send me 3 kind open hearted clients, I will gladly give you a private session.
3. I Got Discerning: I used to put up my business cards wherever I went, blast them with reiki energy, and ask that only good people would find me. Although my intentions were good, my cards were placed into hands of a perverted man, trolls and people who were clearly in need of medical intervention, not readings. Needless to say I turned these people away and encouraged them to find the right help and have taken down all my cards in public places. I am now continuing to build my business on word of mouth and selective social media sites.
4. I Am Very Clear About Who I Work With: The contrast and negative experiences have helped me get really clear on who I work with and how I read best. I appreciate when you come prepared as it helps keep the reading focused so that you can get the most useful information from it. When you have questions ready it sets the intention for the reading so I know how to best support and guide you in your life. I want you to value our time together just as much as I value your time. People who are spiritually open, receptive to a reading and look at this as a way to enhance and inspire their lives will benefit the most from it. There is nothing to be gained by working with people who are beings cynics, or who want to debunk me. I am not into converting anyone.
5. I Found My People: When I left my day job, I felt as if I had taken a step out into a lonely and unknown place. I let go of a lot of people in my life many aspects of my lifestyle. Things worked best for my business when I spent time with spiritually minded entrepreneurs who had experienced more success than me and I had to lean on them for support. Although the initial plunge was hard, I realized that the moment of loneliness was quickly filled with people who were on the same page as me. They are quite willing to help me along my way and offer feedback and support in the process.
6. I Got Comfortable With Charging Money: Yes that's right, when I started my business I didn't know how to charge money for the work I do. I offered sliding scale prices, pay-what-you-want and did a lot of pro bono work. This year I got comfortable with asking for money and I worked through a lot of my money issues and started charging appropriately. I found out what other readers in my community charged and I matched their rates. And guess what, once I did that, I found that people were more comfortable with knowing how much I actually charged and saw it as fair. When I was uncertain they were uncertain. When I got clear it was easier for them.
7. I Got Good At Setting Boundaries: This year I had to let go of some friendships that were unbalanced and one-sided, in short I stopped caretaking. My true friends have supported me every step of the way. I find time for myself and I value my own time and space, honouring my introverted nature. I ended two friendships that were sucking the life out of me, which gave me more energy to invest in the business and all those that I have balanced relationships with. I also learned how to delete, block, and hide myself from people on social media. Thank you Brendan Buchard who wrote "Motivation Manifesto", for teaching me about people and their hidden agendas."
8. I Got Consistent: I realized that I had to treat my business like I treat my spiritual practice. I would have to become dedicated, patient and consistent. In an example of this, I have shown up 46 out of the 48 weeks since starting Thursday night free readings, and the only reason I wasn't able to do those two weeks was because I was in another time zone at Arthur Findlay college studying mediumship. But even then, I shot up in the middle of the night feeling like I had missed something. I learned that if I was consistent in my work, I would create more consistency in my life. When I show up every day, every week, I become stronger in my work and stronger in my life.
All in all, 2015 was a great year for growth and I will continue to do what works as well as continue to live my life as an act of devotion. I will continue to repeat my mantra "God, help me be who I came here to be, and help me do as I came here to do." I feel so blessed that this is how spirit has chosen to work with me in this life, and this is what I am being guided to do.
Bless you all for being so wonderful to work with and here is to another year of service!